Wednesday, April 9, 2014

a year of silence

4/9/14

New York Cont.

  It was around lunch time and the Museum of Modern Art gift shop was busy and loud. The salesperson behind the counter looked like she'd had more than enough busy and loud for one day.
  I had resigned myself to the fact that prints of a painting i loved were out of stock and waited in line clutching a couple of postcards. When it was finally my turn, i approached her and placed my cards on the counter. She barely cracked a smile and murmured a perfunctory hello. When i let her know that i could hear but didn't speak, i could almost swear she looked relieved.
  In a last ditch effort to locate the elusive print, i looked imploringly into her face and soundlessly mouthed the title of the painting asking where a print could be found. It was a french title, but the salesperson instantly understood the painting i was referring to. She nodded quietly to me and a small smile cracked the left side of her face. She made a gesture for me to follow her and suddenly dashed from behind the counter. We then quietly weaved through the crowded store together, neither of us uttering a sound. It was as if we were small fish darting under water as a storm raged on the surface. It wasn't long before she triumphantly pulled a print of the painting i was searching for out of an anonymous bin. I was obviously ecstatic, and i could almost swear my silent partner looked as happy as i was.
  We stealthily made our way back to the checkout counter where my salesperson rang up the purchases. I silently thanked her profusely. She soundlessly mouthed back, "My pleasure.", giving me a small goodbye wave. As i turned around and started to make my way out, another customer approached her counter and loudly exclaimed, "It's a real mad house in here today!".

No comments:

Post a Comment