Monday, October 20, 2014

continuing silence

10/20/14

  It took me 2 1/2 hours to make a trip that by car, usually takes me 10 minutes.
  I fixed my bicycle and i'm back to using it as my primary means of transportation. In the city i live in riding a bicycle and driving a car to a destination, usually take close to the same amount of time. Relentless road work and subsequent detours have made driving a car more of a meandering nuisance than an expedient way of getting around. As mentioned before, i prefer biking anyway. Using a bicycle has proved to be a drain on my time, however. 
  Keeping my mouth shut seems to have heightened my awareness of everything around me, and sharpened all my senses as well. When you're quietly riding a bike and all your senses are crackling like static electricity, the distractions around you can become overpowering. Especially, at this time of year.
  It's no secret that i'm an autumnophile. I love the fall and all it's colors, smells, and even its sounds. Usually, autumn lasts about 3 days where i live. It segways from the 90 degree days of summer to blizzard conditions, almost overnight. But this year is different.
  Consistent warm days and cold nights have turned every side street along my usual travel route into a cathedral nave. Each one glowing with the stained glass effects of sun saturated fall leaves. I am a lingering, silent witness to beauty that splits my heart like it was a ripe melon.
  So now that i'm riding my bicycle again, it takes me forever to get anywhere... and i love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment