Wednesday, February 19, 2014

a year of silence

2/19/14

  A friend of mine, who is a very skilled crafts-person, asked for my help with a project a couple of days ago. I have worked with him before, but this occasion proved to be much different.
  My being silent made the whole experience go much more smoothly, and greatly increased my enjoyment of it. We were on a time schedule, so plying him with obtuse, superfluous questions via written notes wasn't really an option. Any important information was duly provided by him in an efficient manner, as his instructions were able to flow uninterrupted.
  Even the ride to and from the job was more pleasant. We engaged in "conversation" and many opportunities arose for me to interject an opinion, but i chose to utilize few of them. Instead, i listened quietly and actually digested what he had to say.
  Being silent released me from the burden of having to formulate responses, and enabled me to reflect more deeply on someone else's thoughts and ideas. How refreshing it is to have an exchange with someone and hear more than my own voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment