Thursday, February 27, 2014

a year of silence

2/27/14

  I am more aware in almost every aspect of my life now. Noises feel amplified, while fleeting moments of quiet have become more noticeable.
  I can be anywhere, in the city, a suburban neighborhood or in a public building, when suddenly i'll realize that it's actually "quiet". These instances usually last mere seconds, and i use the word quiet in a relative way.
  Now that i have shut my mouth and the clamor in my head has settled, these ephemeral moments have become much more apparent. I am able to listen to the breeze, hear the birds and enjoy the rhythmic padding feet of the dogs i walk. I'm becoming more attuned to "quiet" sounds.
  Sudden noises or loud machinery have become almost unbearable, however. They startle me and i have an immediate urge to get away from them as quickly as possible. They have the same effect as large boulders dropping into a still lake.
  Ideas for new art projects are coming into my brain at an ever increasing rate. Solutions to problems are occurring to me without the usual tumult. The trivial is now quickly recognized and discarded. My patience level for things (other than noise) has increased dramatically.
  A lot of the noise that has always bothered me all my life, may very well have been in my own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment