Monday, September 1, 2014

continuing silence

9/1/14

  When i was a kid, it was at about this time every summer that my father would drive the whole family to an old farm house in Maine. It had no electricity, no plumbing, and no phone. I remember thinking it was the greatest place in the whole world.
  I can also remember my father saying it was great to get away from it all, especially the telephone. This was before cell phones, so when you "got away from it all", you actually did. It was so quiet there (as quiet as it could be for a family with 5 kids.....). I wonder if families would even consider that a vacation anymore.
  My Dad is gone, the farm burned down, and telephones have become parts of our bodies. Maybe "getting away from it all" and "peace and quiet" are old fashioned notions that are gone as well.
  A friend of mine told me that my silence is a burden on those around me. Perhaps someone being quiet is burdensome to our modern society. It is similar to riding a horse on a freeway.

No comments:

Post a Comment