Sunday, September 21, 2014

continuing silence

9/21/14

  We had decided to take a mountain drive and see some autumn color. The ride started with an exchange of pleasantries, but busy traffic soon made much communication between us untenable.
  At first, the car stereo was playing. But because of the mountainous terrain, the signal faded out. So my friend used her cell phone to fill the void of having a mute passenger.           Before long, the cell reception also died, so she began to whistle.
  I was preparing myself for the inevitable injuries i would sustain by jumping out of the moving car, when i suddenly recognized the opening theme from the Andy Griffith Show. We were driving in the back country and my friend was whistling the tune from Andy Griffith.
  It was one of those absurdly perfect moments that are always so brief, but will stand out in your memory more than your entire junior year of high school.
  The radio signal soon reestablished itself. My friend raised the volume and began tapping out a rhythm on the steering wheel. I put my window down and stuck my head out of the car. I enjoy the rush of the wind and the quiet rumble in my ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment