Sunday, September 14, 2014

continuing silence

9/14/14

  A deep and encompassing fog was absorbing everything into its self. I jerked my car over to the side of the road and scrambled down the steep ravine in order to fully experience it. I sat myself down on a rock outcropping, eagerly anticipating being fully enveloped by the incoming cloud.
  I watched the fog's tidal flow slowly climb up the walls of the deep valley. The bright sun was on my back and the thick blue of the sky rested on top of the encroaching white mist. I was completely mesmerized.
  I felt a shadow cross over me from the road above. Some people had pulled over their s.u.v. The car engine shut off, mercifully stifling the thump of loud music. Doors slammed and boisterous exclamations ensued, as they photographed one another standing in front of the beauty that was unfolding in the distance.
  "Helloooo down there!!", someone yelled at me, or no one in particular. I maintained my silence with my back towards them as the fog drew closer.
  Soon the car doors slammed once again, the engine turned over, and the beat of music reasserted itself. The noise faded into the distance as the car moved further and further away.
  I suddenly noticed that there were ripe raspberries hanging from little bushes all around my perch. I picked a few and munched contentedly as the fog began to wrap around me. It was cool, quiet and one of the most beautiful things i have ever experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment