Thursday, September 4, 2014

continuing silence

9/4/14

  One of my favorite places in the world (so far) is on top of this mountain located about an hour and a half from where i live. It is not my favorite place all the time, just on the evening of every Labor Day.
  I go there every year to celebrate my release from summer's fetid grasp. I also go because on that night, it is one of the quietest places i have ever experienced.
  It is always cold and the wind howls as i weave my way around and over the granite boulders to the summit. In the darkness, the sharp rock glints and flashes, deflecting the moon's intrusive gaze. No one else is ever there on this last night of accessibility. In the morning, they will close the park entrance gates for the season.
  When i reach the top, i watch the stars while the moon watches me. Occasionally, the wind will stop to inhale, and the momentary pause is so exquisitely, achingly,  quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment